Qualification : M.Sc, Ph.D
Designation : Assistant Professor
e-mail id : firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Dr.Rajashree Dasgupta received her Master’s Degree (2000) from the University of Calcutta and has completed her pre-doctoral research from School of Oceanographic Studies, Jadavpur Univeristy, Kolkata. She was awarded a Ph.D. degree in July, 2009 by Jadavpur University in Science for her thesis titled “Assessment of Vulnerability & Adaptation Strategies for the Sundarban Island System, West Bengal, India, in the perspective of Climate Change” . She joined Krishnagar Govt. College in August 2009.
Rajashree in her doctoral study has tried to analyze the status of both natural and social vulnerability of Indian Sundarbans under the climate change scenario. She has also assessed precisely the vulnerability level of the region using Common Methodology approach (modified by her to some extent) as suggested by IPCC under Business-as-usual scenario. Based on the vulnerability status, she has also suggested some feasible adaptation strategies to mitigate the vulnerability level in the particular ecosystem.
Rajashree’s teaching interests include courses on Bio Geography, Population and Settlement Geography, Environmental Geography, Regional Planning, Urban Geography and also other contemporary issues related to the subject. She has also done a certificate course in Remote sensing and GIS mapping from Jadavpur University and is engaged in pertaining training of RS-GIS software (TNT MIPS) to Post Graduate students as a part of the PG syllabus prescribed under University of Kalyani. She has also used Erdas Imagine software, Arc View Software and Geomatica software in her doctoral research work
(1) Projects Completed/Continuing :
Pre Doctoral :
Doctoral research done with UGC NET-JRF scholarship, Govt. of India in School of Oceanographic Studies, Jadavpur University, 2002-2008; Thesis title: Assessment of Vulnerability & Adaptation Strategies for the Sundarban Island System, West Bengal, India, in the perspective of Climate Change’; Awarded Ph.D in Science on 29th Of July, 2009.
Post Doctoral :
Presently acting as Principal Investigator for a UGC funded Minor Research Project entitled “Status of Population Pressure and It’s Impact on Food Security in the Perspective of Climate Change- Case Studies in the Coastal Blocks of Sagar and Namkhana in Indian Sundarbans” vide letter No F. PSW-096/13-14(ERO) dated 18.03.2014. The implementation date of the project is 20th May, 2014.
(2) Research Guidance : None
(3) Master’s Level Dissertation Guidance : (Details given below)
|Academic Session||Topic of the Dissertation|
1. A Preliminary Assessment Of Recent Air Pollution Status in Kolkata Metropolitan Area
2. Crime Mapping in Kolkata city in Recent Past
3. Education Mapping in Slum Areas of Kolkata City-A Preliminary Assessment
4. A Baseline Assessment of Health & Nutrition Status of Slum Dwellers in Kolkata City
1. A Preliminary Assessment of Health & Nutrition status in Slums of Krishnagar Municipality
2. A Baseline Assessment of Crime Status in Kolkata Metropolis – a Spatial and Temporal Analysis (2000 to 2010)
1. Recent Status of Noise Pollution in Kolkata Metropolis – A Baseline Assessment
2. A Preliminary Assessment on the Status of Women in Slum Communities of Kolkata Metropolis and Krishnanagar- A district Town of Nadia
1. An Overview on the educational and Economic Status of Women in Slum Communities of Ranaghat Municipality
2. A Baseline Assessment on the Health and Nutritional Challenges of Slum Women and Children in Nabadwip Municipality
3 Educational Mapping of Slum Women and Children in Nabadwip Municipality – a Preliminary Assessment
4. An overview on the Status of Arsenic Contamination in Krishnanagar Town
1. A Baseline Assessment on the Status of Primary Education In Krishnagar Municipality, Nadia District, West Bengal
2. An Overview on Education Mapping of Slum Women and Children in Krishnagar Municipality, Nadia District, West Bengal
3. A Preliminary Assessment of Health and Nutrition Status of Slum Women Dwellers in Berhampore Municipality, Murshidabad District, West Bengal
4. Health Infrastructure vis –a –vis Population Pressure in Nabadwip Municipality, Nadia District, West Bengal
5. A Baseline Assessment on the Economic Status and Health Challenges of Clay Modelling Workers in Krishnagar Municipality, Nadia District, West Bengal
6. A Baseline Assessment on the Status of Crime Occurrences in Kolkata Metropolis in Recent Years
7. A Preliminary Assessment Of The Impact of Tourism On The Local Economy in Nabadwip Municipality, Nadia District, West Bengal
(3) Publication (till date) :
(1) Research paper entitled ‘Sea Level and Associated Changes in the Sundarbans’ published in the Journal ‘Science and Culture’, a special issue on climate change and society: an Indian perspective; Vol. 68 Number 9-12 in December 2002.
(2) A Research paper entitled ‘Fishing Scenario In Sundarbans- A Case Study in Coastal West Bengal’ published in the Indian Journal of ‘Landscape Systems and Ecological Studies’, Vol. 28 Number 2 in December 2005.
(3) Research paper entitled ‘Threatened Coastline of the Indian Sundarbans: Challenges of the Present Century’. Published in Conscientia -Academic Journal of Krishnagar Government College 1:1 (June 2011). Krishnagar Government College, Krishnagar, Nadia, West Bengal .
Research Paper entitled ‘A Preparatory Assessment of Vulnerability of the Ecologically Sensitive Sundarban Island System, West Bengal, in the Perspective of Climate Change’. Published in the Proceedings of the Workshop on Vulnerability Assessment and Adaptation Due to Climate Change on Indian Water Resources, Coastal Zones and Human Health by Ministry of Environment and Forests, Govt. of India in 2003